Who says soup – or vegetables – are boring? Our vegetable soup recipe contains brown onions, carrots, celery, zucchini and silver beet so you can easily clock in your five-a-day with maximum flavour and fragrance.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 (400 g) large brown onions, chopped finely
- 2 (360 g) large carrots, chopped coarsely
- 8 (800 g) stalks celery, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 litre (4 cups) water
- ¾ cup (165 g) soup pasta
- 2 (240 g) medium zucchini, sliced thickly
- 250 g trimmed silver beet, chopped coarsely
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium heat; cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic, stirring, for about 5-10 mins, or until vegetables soften.
Add stock and water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 10 mins. Add pasta and zucchini; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 5 mins, or until pasta is tender. Add silver beet; cook, stirring, for about 30 secs, or until silver beet wilts. Season before serving.