Light, healthy, but undeniably indulgent, this zucchini soup will be an unexpected recipe to work its way into your heart. Not only is it good as an accompaniment to your meal, it can even double up as a great light snack on days you don’t feel like having much.
- 30 g (1 ounce) butter
- 1 brown onion (200 g), chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsps plain (all-purpose) flour
- 8 zucchini (1.2 kg), chopped coarsely
- 1½ cup (375 ml) vegetable stock
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- ½ cup (125 ml) pouring cream
- 1 tbsp pouring cream, extra
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh chives
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add flour and zucchini; cook, stirring, 2 mins.
Stir in stock and the water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins or until zucchini is tender. Cool 10 mins.
Blend or process soup, in batches, until smooth.
Just before serving, return soup to pan. Add cream; stir over medium heat until hot. Season to taste. To serve, drizzle with extra cream and sprinkle with chives.
TIP Recipe is not suitable to freeze. Don’t reboil the soup once you add the cream, as the soup may curdle.