Fight food waste one step at a time, starting with a bit of creativity with your weekend roast leftovers. With the use of mainly lamb shanks and a flexible assortment of vegetables, create this one-pot recipe that will satisfy, fresh out of the oven with a dollop of minted, mushy peas.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leftover cooked lamb shanks, meat shredded
- 1 (120 g) medium carrot, chopped coarsely
- 1 tbsps gravy powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) reserved cooking liquid from lamb
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 400 g canned lentils, drained, rinsed
- ½ cup (60 g) frozen peas
- 500 g reserved par-boiled potatoes, sliced thinly
- 50 g butter, melted
- 90 g butter, chopped
- 4 cups (480 g) frozen peas
- 2 tbsps finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tsps caster sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
Preheat oven to 200 C (180 C fan-forced). Grease four by 1¼ cup (310 ml) ramekins or ovenproof dishes. Place the dishes on an oven tray.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add shredded lamb and carrot; cook, stirring, until hot. Add the gravy powder; cook, stirring, for 1 min. Stir in the reserved cooking liquid and water; bring to the boil. Boil for 2 mins. Stir in lentils and peas. Divide mixture between the ramekins.
Arrange the sliced potato over the lamb mixture, brushing with melted butter between layers. Bake for 20 mins until potato is golden.
Meanwhile, make mushy peas: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; cook the peas, mint and sugar for about 6 mins, stirring, until tender. Using a stick blender, puree pea mixture until combined. Stir in juice; season to taste.
Serve pies with mushy peas and a mixed leaf salad and tomato sauce, if desired.
TIP Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.