You can’t deny the appeal of fried rice. Delicious, comforting and easy to prepare, this rice bowl full of ingredients will satisfy you in taste and hunger. The best part is that it’s made up of many different ingredients, so feel free to swap one for another if you don’t have any of the ones listed in the recipe.
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vegetable oil, plus 1 tbsp extra
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 chicken thigh fillets, sliced
- 3 rashers, rindless bacon, choped
- 50 g snow peas, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced plus extra, sliced to serve
- ¼ cup sweet chilli sauce, plus extra, to serve
- 2 tbsps soy sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup long grain rice, cooked to packet instructions, cooled (see tip)
- 1½ cups frozen pea and corn mix, thawed coriander sprigs, to serve
In a jug, whisk eggs.
In a wok or large frying pan, heat 2 tsps oil on high, swirling to coat. Add egg, quickly swirl over wok until set. When egg puffs, flip and cook 30 secs. Remove from wok. Roll and slice.
In same wok, heat 1 tbsp oil on high. Stir-fry garlic 30 secs. Add chicken and bacon. Reduce heat to medium. Stir-fry 3 to 4 mins until browned. Add carrot, snow peas and green onion. Stir-fry 2 mins.
Stir in sweet chili sauce and soy, then rice and pea mix, tossing to mix well. Stir-fry 1 min. Serve topped with egg, extra green onion, coriander, extra sauces.
For best results, cook rice, spread over a tray, cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight. This helps to separate grains.
Photo: Rob Shaw/bauersyndication.com.au