Who doesn’t love this cheesy cauliflower and broccoli side dish? Great with roast dinners, and a clever way to make otherwise boring vegetables tastier for kids.
- 1/2 cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 1 head broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets
- 80 g butter
- 1/3 cup (50 g) plain flour
- 2 cup (500 ml) milk, warmed
- 1 cup (120 g) grated tasty cheese
- 1/2 cup (40 g) grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup (35 g) fresh breadcrumbs
- salad, to serve (optional)
Preheat oven to 180 C. Lightly grease a 20cm x 30cm casserole dish.
Place cauliflower and broccoli in a large saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 6-8 mins, or until tender. Drain well. Arrange in prepared dish.
Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 min. Remove from heat and gradually mix in warmed milk, until smooth. Return to medium heat. Stir until sauce boils and thickens. Simmer for 3 mins.
Pour sauce over vegetables. Sprinkle with combined cheeses and breadcrumbs.
Bake for 20-30 mins, or until gratin is bubbling and golden. Serve with salad.