Literally ready in minutes, whip up this gorgeous chickpea & vegetable curry when you have a fridge full of fresh vegetables!
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 2 medium brown onions, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- ¼ cup grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 400 g canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock (250 ml)
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ small cauliflower (500 g), cut into florets
- 2 large zucchini, sliced thickly
- 400 g canned chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- Coconut rice, coriander leaves, pappadums, mango chutney, to serve
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mustard seeds. As they begin to pop, add the onion, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until the onion is golden brown.
Reduce the heat to low and add the remaining spices. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes or until fragrant, before adding the undrained tomatoes, stock and honey. Cover and simmer for 10 mins.
Add the cauliflower and zucchini; simmer, covered, for a further 10 mins or until the cauliflower is cooked through. Stir in the chickpeas and simmer for 1 min or until hot. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve curry with coconut rice and coriander, pappadums and mango chutney.
Photo: Bauer/Rob Shaw