- 2 tbsps kecap manis (sweet black sauce)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crush
- 4 x 100 g fish fillets, skin left on (try salmon, threadfin, greasy grouper or cod fish)
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 50 g qing cai (Chinese chard), trim, separate stalks and rinse
- 50 g cai xin, trim, separate stalks and rinse
- 2 tbsps oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Rice, to serve (optional)
In a shallow dish, combine kecap manis, lemon juice and garlic. Add fish to marinade, turning to coat well.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium fire. Add fish, skin side down. Cook, brushing with marinade occasionally, for 3 to 4 mins each side, turning to cook for another 4 mins. Remove from pan and allow to rest, covered with foil, for 5 mins before slicing. Remove to serving plates.
Heat remaining oil in the same pan over medium fire. Stir-fry the vegetables with oyster and soy sauces for 1 to 2 mins until they just begin to wilt.
To prepare dressing, combine sugar and fish sauce in a pan. Stir over low fire until sugar dissolves. Stir in juice.
Serve fish with greens and rice, if you like.
Photo: Bauer/Rob Shaw