You can even make mini-burgers using these Mexican bean and quinoa cakes.
- 500 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 100 g quinoa
- 300 g sweet potato, peel then cut into 2-cm cubes
- 400 g canned kidney beans, drain and rinse
- 1 small carrot, grate
- 4 spring onions, chop finely
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, crush
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Handful of coriander, chop
- Juice of 1 small lime
- Sprinkling of salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsps olive oil, for frying
- Avocado and tomato salad, plus lime wedges, to serve
Bring stock to boil. Add quinoa and sweet potato; cook for about 10 mins. Add the kidney beans for the last 5 mins. When the sweet potato is tender and the quinoa is cooked, drain well and cool.
Put all remaining ingredients (except olive oil) in a bowl. Add the cooled bean and quinoa mixture. Squash the mixture with a rolling pin, crushing the beans and potato as you go. Season with salt and ground pepper.
With wet hands, form 8 medium-sized or about 15 small rounds from the mixture. Place on a plate and chill in the fridge for at least 40 mins.
Heat half the oil in a frying pan. Cook mixture rounds in batches over medium-low fire for about 3 mins each side. Repeat with the next batch.
Serve with avocado, tomato salad and lime wedges.
Photo: Bauer/Jonathan Gregson