Ready in minutes, this Japanese classic miso udon soup is nourishing, comforting and so easy to make!
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup white miso paste
- 3 cm piece ginger, peeled, finely sliced
- 220 g dried udon noodles
- 1 bunch baby bai cai, trimmed, roughly chopped
- 100 g oyster mushrooms, halved
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 300 g silken firm tofu, cut into 2 cm cubes
- Sliced green onions, to serve
In a large saucepan, combine water, miso and ginger. Bring to boil on high. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 mins.
Stir in noodles, bai cai, mushrooms and mirin. Simmer 4 to 5 mins until noodles are tender.
Add tofu, stirring gently. Cook 1 min. Serve topped with green onion and accompany with soy sauce, if liked.
Photo: Bauer/Rob Shaw