A traditional family favourite, nasi goreng is a stunning Indonesian fried rice dish brimming with fresh vegetables and a fried egg on top!
- 1 tbsp peanut oil, plus 1 tbsp extra
- 2 rashers rindless bacon, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 425 g can baby corn spears, drained, halved
- ½ red capsicum, seeded chopped
- 2 tsps shrimp paste
- 450 g packet jasmine microwave rice
- ¼ cup kecap manis
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- 4 eggs
- ½ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Fried shallots, chopped roasted peanuts, to serve
In a wok or large frying pan, heat oil on high. Stir-fry bacon 1 to 2 mins until golden. Add white part of scallions, corn, capsicum and snow peas. Stir-fry 1 min.
Add shrimp paste and stir-fry 1 min. Mix in heated rice with kecap manis, sauce and sambal. Stir-fry 1 to 2 mins to heat through. Stir in remaining onion.
In a large frying pan, heat extra oil on high. Crack eggs into pan and cook 2 to 3 mins until set.
Serve rice on a bed of lettuce, topped with an egg fried sunny side up. Sprinkle with shallots and peanuts.
Photo: Bauer/Rodney Macuja