Want to pack a punch? Add a touch more wasabi for more heat.
- 270 g pack udon noodles
- 2 cm ginger, peel and grate
- 300 g fresh tuna steaks (buy from supermarkets)
- 2 tbsps sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100 g snow pea sprouts (dou miao)
- 1 orange, break into segments
- 2 stalks spring onions, slice finely
DRESSING (whisk together):
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsps rice wine vinegar (use normal vinegar, if unavailable)
- 1 tsp wasabi paste (buy from supermarkets)
- ½ tsp sesame oil
Cook noodles following packet instructions. Rinse under cold water and drain well.
Meanwhile, rub ginger over tuna. Roll tuna in sesame seeds and season with salt.
Heat oil in a large frying pan or char-grill pan over medium fire. Sear tuna 1 to 2 mins on each side, or until cooked to taste. Set aside, loosely covered with foil, for 5 mins. Using a sharp knife, cut into thin slices.
When ready to serve, pour dressing over noodles. Add sprouts, orange segments and spring onions, tossing to combine. Serve noodles topped with tuna slices.
Photo: Bauer/Rob Shaw