Cool off from Singapore’s heat with this refreshing peach melba (a tantalising combination of peach, raspberry and vanilla) trifle. Serve them in individual trifle jars for entertaining guests with minimal effort.
- ½ x 85 g packet raspberry-flavoured jelly crystals
- ⅓ cup frozen raspberries, thawed
- 2 cups chopped bought plain sponge cake
- 1 cup double-thick vanilla custard
- ¾ cup thickened cream, whipped
- 1 large peach, halved, each half cut into 4 wedges
- Mint leaves, to serve
- Icing sugar, to dust
Prepare jelly following packet directions. Pour evenly into four 1-cup straight-sided jars or glasses. Add 1 tablespoon of raspberries to each. Chill for 2 hours or until set.
Arrange sponge cake over jelly in jars. Pour custard over sponge, then dollop with cream.
Serve topped with peach wedges, remaining raspberries and mint leaves. Dust with icing sugar.
1. For equal layers, spread and press down ingredients after each addition with the back of a spoon. Trifles can be made up to 4 hours ahead.
2. Get the kids in the kitchen to help make them – they’ll love being involved. Use your creativity and tastebuds to mix and match store-bought cakes, biscuits, lollies and cream to make your own signature trifles.
Photo: Rodney Macuja/Bauersyndication.com.au