- 200 g packet chilled kway teow (flat rice noodles)
- 2 tbsps peanut oil
- 350 g prawns, peel, remove veins, leave tails intact
- 1 onion, slice, plus extra to serve
- 2 cloves garlic, crush
- ⅓ cup Pad Thai spice paste (buy from supermarkets)
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 chilli padi, slice finely
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups bean sprouts
- Crushed peanuts, sliced red chilli, lemon wedges, to serve
Thaw kway teow and separate strands so they don’t stick together during cooking.
Heat oil in a wok over high fire. Stir-fry prawns for 2 to 3 mins until colour changes and prawns are just cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
Using the same wok, stir-fry onion and garlic for 1 min. Add spice paste, juice, fish sauce and chilli. Stir-fry for 1 min. Toss noodles through.
Push noodles to one side of wok. Crack eggs into wok, scrambling with a wooden spoon, until just cooked. Toss through noodle mixture.
Return prawns to wok with bean sprouts, tossing well for 1 to 2 mins. Serve sprinkled with nuts, chilli and extra onion, with lemon wedges on the side.
Photo: Bauer/Rob Shaw