- 500 g beef eye fillet, halved lengthways
- 250 ml prepared satay sauce
- 250 g packet instant long grain rice
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsps kecap manis
- 250 g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- ½ pineapple, peeled, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- ½ cup roasted salted peanuts, chopped
Place beef in a shallow dish with half satay sauce. Toss to coat.
Heat a large, oiled frying pan on high. Cook beef 5 mins, turning on all sides, until sealed. (If you like your beef well done, increase cooking time by 5 mins, turning.) Transfer to a plate and rest, loosely covered with foil, 5 mins.
Prepare rice following packet instructions. Squash level tablespoons of rice into discs.
Heat oil in deep frying pan on high. Fry rice discs 1 to 2 mins, until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towel.
Place remaining satay sauce in a medium saucepan with coconut milk, juice and kecap manis. Stir on low 1 min, until smooth.
In a large bowl, toss rice discs, tomatoes, sprouts, pineapple, onion and herbs together. Transfer to a platter.
Thinly slice beef and arrange over salad. Spoon sauce over and sprinkle with nuts to serve.
Photo: Bauer/Rob Shaw