There’s no bigger comfort food for people of all ages than macaroni soup. In this recipe, we show you how to prepare a piping hot bowl of macaroni with chicken, veggies and chicken stock in just 30 minutes.
Watch the video guide below:
- Shredded chicken
- 1.5 L water, for boiling chicken + extra for boiling the eggs
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 4 slices ginger
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and cut in quarters or halves
- 1 carrot, cut into big chunks
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1½ tsps salt
- 2 cups macaroni, cooked until just al dente
- 1 bunch lettuce, washed and cut finely
- A handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs, hardboiled and peeled
- Tong chye, for garnishing
- Spring onions, for garnishing
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely sliced (optional)
Start by boiling 2 pots of water – one big pot for the chicken stock and a smaller pot for the eggs.
Pour water and chicken stock into a pot. When the liquid is boiling, add the ginger, onion, carrot and chicken bones, into the big pot.
Boil chicken stock under low heat for at least 10 mins until you are ready to use the stock.
At the same time, place eggs in the small pot to boil. Boil eggs for 10 mins and remove to cool down before removing the shells.
While waiting for eggs to cook, prepare spring onions, wansoy and red chilli. It’s faster to use scissors to cut them in a glass.
In your medium to large bowls, place the macaroni, lettuce and shredded chicken. Do not over-fill your bowl because you need to add the soup.
Remove all the bones from the soup and add the soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
Remove the shells from the eggs, slice them and add to the bowl with the macaroni.
Finally, add the boiling soup into the bowl with all the ingredients. Top with a bit of spring onions, wansoy and red chilli, fried shallots and tong chye. Serve with light soy sauce and red cut chilli.