Developed a powerful hankering for some mouth-watering, spicy and authentic Mexican flavours? Make yourself a chicken taco by easily throwing a couple of taco shells on the pan, while tossing and sizzling together some delicious and accessible Mexican staples. After this, you might never have to hit up a restaurant for your weeknight taco fix, ever again.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion (150 g), chopped finely
- 500 g minced chicken
- 35 g packet taco seasoning mix
- 375 g bottled thick and chunky taco sauce
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 taco shells (140 g)
- 1 cup (60 g) finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 carrot (120 g), grated coarsely
- 125 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup (60 g) coarsely grated cheddar
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- ⅓ cup (80 g) sour cream
Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook onion, stirring, until softened. Add chicken; cook, stirring, until browned.
Add seasoning mix; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add half the taco sauce and the water; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 7 mins or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; season to taste.
Meanwhile, heat taco shells according to directions on packet.
Place chicken mixture into taco shells; top with lettuce, carrot, tomato, cheese, coriander, sour cream and remaining taco sauce.