Baked potatoes are so versatile because you can simply throw on any toppings of your choice and it would be completely different. This recipe with sweet-corn and bacon would be a kid-friendly option.
Basic Baked Potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsps light olive oil
- 4 equal-sized (about 200 g each floury potatoes (such as Dutch Creams)
Sweet Corn and Bacon Baked Potatoes
- 1 quantity Basic Baked Potatoes
- 4 bacon rashers, rind removed, finely chopped
- 310 g canned sweet corn kernels, drained
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 tbsps chopped chives, plus extra, to serve
- 1⁄3 cup extra-light sour cream
Preheat oven to 200 C/180 C fan-forced. Make Basic Baked Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 200 C/180 C fan-forced. Brush potatoes with oil. Season with salt. Wrap each potato in foil. Place on an oven tray. Bake for 55 mins or until tender. Stand for 5 mins. Remove foil.
- Using a small, sharp knife, make a cross-cut in the top of the potatoes, not going all the way through. Use hands to gently push potato to open out the cross-cut and expose potato flesh.
Meanwhile, cook and stir bacon in a frying pan over moderate heat for 3 mins or until browned. Drain on paper towel. Cool slightly.
Combine bacon, corn, cheese and chives in a bowl. Spoon mixture into baked potatoes. Place on an oven tray. Bake for 10 mins or until golden brown. Serve potatoes topped with sour cream and extra chives.
Photo: Pablo Martin/bauersyndication.com.au