Make this Italian classic at home with this recipe for bruschetta because there is nothing quite like the simple flavour pairing of juicy tomatoes, garden-fresh basil leaves, extra virgin olive oil and fragrant garlic on a slice of bread.
Watch the video guide below:
- 3-4 ripe tomatoes, finely diced and seeds removed
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 6 thick slices Italian or French bread
- 50 g butter, softened
- 6 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Prepare the garlic butter by combining the butter with the garlic and mix well. Set aside.
Marinate the tomatoes with garlic, olive oil, basil leaves, salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside for 10 mins to obtain a better flavour from the tomato juices.
While the tomatoes are marinating, spread the garlic butter on the sliced breads and toast them in an oven or toaster until crispy and nice golden brown.
Top the toasted breads with the marinated tomatoes and garnish with thinly sliced fresh basil.
Tip: For extra flavour oomph, you can top with cured ham like prosciutto or smoked salmon.