Inspired by the classic minestrone, this vegetable and white bean soup is just as hearty and filling too!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, sliced
- 1 swede, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed, washed, thinly sliced
- 1 rasher rindless bacon, finely sliced (optional)
- 4 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 400 g can diced tomatoes
- ²/³ cup soup mix, rinsed
- 400 g can cannellini beans, drained
- 100 g green beans, trimmed, chopped
- Grated Parmesan, parsley leaves to serve
In a large saucepan, heat oil on high. Saute carrot, celery, swede, leek and bacon, 4 to 5 mins, until leek is tender.
Add stock, water, tomatoes and soup mix. Bring to boil. Simmer on low, covered, 30 to 35 mins, until grains and legumes are tender.
Stir in beans and simmer, uncovered, a further 4 to 5 mins. Season to taste. Serve topped with Parmesan and parsley.
Photo: Bauer/Rob Shaw