Adding some excitement to the traditional stew, here’s a Tex-Mex beef version that contains all the fragrance you need in a slow-cooked dish from oregano, tomatoes, to cumin and coriander. We also love the sweet potatoes that are left to simmer in this delicious stew, resulting in soft, flavourful and tender goodness.
- 800 g beef chuck steak, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 medium orange sweet potato (400 g), unpeeled, cut into 5 cm pieces
- 1 medium onion (150 g), cut into wedges
- 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsps Mexican chilli powder
- 1 fresh long green chilli, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ⅔ cup (160 g) drained chargrilled capsicum , chopped coarsely
- ½ cup (125 ml) beef stock
- ⅔ cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
Place beef, sweet potato, onion, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, chilli powder, fresh chilli, garlic, capsicum and stock in a 4.5 litre (18 cups) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low for 8 hrs. Season to taste.
Stir in half the coriander. Serve topped with remaining coriander and a dollop of sour cream, if you like.
TIP Serve with grilled corn on the cob, sliced pickled jalapeños, sour cream and lime wedges.