Healthy snacks can be hard to come by, so making your own is your best bet for nutrition and taste. Fry up these crunchy zucchini and cheese fritters for a quick bite, and serve with your favourite dip to spice the experience up.
- 500 g zucchini, grated coarsely
- ½ cup (60 g) frozen baby peas
- 130 g can corn kernels, drained
- 4 green onions (green shallots), chopped
- ¾ cup (120 g) wholemeal self-raising flour
- ½ cup (40 g) coarsely grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup (60 g) coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Tightly squeeze small handfuls of grated zucchini to remove excess moisture. Place in a large bowl.
Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan on medium-high. Drop 2 tbsps of mixture in pan; flatten slightly and shape roughly into a round. Repeat with another 4 rounds, about 5 cm apart. Cook for about 2 mins or until browned underneath. Turn fritters; cook for a further 2 mins or until cooked through.
Drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with remaining oil and mixture.
TIP Make these fritters for dinner and keep the leftovers for lunchboxes the following day.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.