If you enjoy Carbonara, you will absolutely love this authentic version which features fresh Pappardelle and delicious sliced pancetta, topped with Parmesan – super for an indulgent brunch dish!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g thinly sliced pancetta, torn
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 4 eggs, beaten lightly
- ¾ cup (60 g) freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 1 quantity Fresh Pasta, cut into pappardelle (1.5-cm widths) or 400 g dried pappardelle
Heat oil in a medium frying pan, add pancetta and cook over medium heat for 5 mins or until starting to crisp. Add garlic, cook, stirring for 1 min.
Combine eggs and Parmesan in a bowl.
Cook pasta in a large saucepan of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Reserve ½ cup cooking water, drain.
Off the heat, return pasta to saucepan. Add pancetta mixture, egg mixture and ¼ cup or enough of reserved pasta cooking water to form a sauce, stir until well combined.
Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, serve with extra Parmesan.
Photo: John Paul Urizar/BauerSyndication.com.au