If you like your pasta dense and flavourful, this dish made with Puttanesca sauce featuring heady aromas of garlic, anchovies, capers, and olives will thrill your palate!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium (150 g) brown onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 x 400 g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup (150 g) drained, pitted black olives, chopped
- 2 tbsps baby capers
- 1 quantity pasta, cut into desired widths or 400 g dried pasta
- 2 tbsps flat-leaf parsley leaves
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium to low heat; cook onion, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins or until soft but not browned.
Add garlic and anchovies; cook stirring for 1 min or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, sugar and basil; simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins or until thickened.
Blend or process sauce, if desired (this creates a smooth consistency, but is not necessary), then return to heat and add the olives and capers; simmer a further 5 mins. Season to taste.
Cook pasta in a large saucepan of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Reserve ½ cup cooking water, drain. Serve immediately with sauce and parsley, adding a splash of reserved cooking water if necessary to help amalgamate the sauce with the pasta.
Photo: John Paul Urizar/BauerSyndication.com.au