The essence of Asian cuisine, quite literally captured in a glass jar. This modern take of the homely vegetarian dish will be sure to appeal to guests of all age groups, perfect for a get-together amongst a spread of other East Asian delicacies.
- 4 hard-boiled free-range eggs, halved
- 1 tbsp vegetarian tom yum paste
- 40 g dried rice vermicelli noodles
- 8 oyster mushrooms (90 g), torn
- 4 of 5 cm long strips thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup (25 g) bean sprouts
- 1 fresh long red chilli, sliced thinly
- 1 lime (65 g), quartered
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) boiling water
- ¼ cup fresh coriander leaves
Divide eggs, paste, noodles, mushrooms, ginger, lime leaves, tomatoes, sprouts and chilli among four 2 cups (250 ml) heatproof jars. Squeeze a lime quarter over ingredients in each jar; add lime to jars.
Pour 1½ cups (375 ml) of the boiling water into each jar; stand, uncovered, for 6 mins or until noodles are tender. Stir ingredients together. Serve topped with coriander.
TIP You will need four 2 cups (500 ml) heatproof jars with fitted lids for this recipe. This recipe is perfect to take to work. Add more or less tom yum paste to taste. You can use boiling vegetable stock instead of boiling water for extra flavour.