While demonstrating your culinary skills are duly encouraged, you can ‘cheat’ by using ready-made carbonara sauce for an equally comforting, convenient and delicious meal. Increase indulgence and flavour by dosing with extra cheese and ingredients, such as mushrooms, leftover chicken and breadcrumbs.
- 250 g spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dry white wine
- ¾ cup (180 ml) chicken stock
- 425 g jar carbonara pasta sauce
- 3 cup (480 g) shredded barbecue chicken
- 3 green onions (green shallots), sliced thickly
- ⅔ cup (50 g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup (25 g) stale breadcrumbs
Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente; drain.
Meanwhile, in a large non-stick frying pan, heat the oil over high. Cook the mushrooms and garlic, stirring until browned lightly. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until wine has almost evaporated. Add stock, bring to the boil; cook, stirring, about 5 mins or until liquid has reduced by half. Remove pan from heat.
Stir the carbonara sauce, chicken, green onions and half the cheese into the mushroom mixture. Add the pasta and toss gently to combine.
Transfer the pasta mixture to a 1.5 litre (6 cups) greased ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the combined breadcrumbs and remaining cheese.
Bake, uncovered, about 10 mins or until browned lightly. Serve with a salad or steamed vegetables of your choice.